Paul Inman, a 30-year-old Asperger Syndrome sufferer, died because he drank up to three litres of soft drinks a day, it has emerged.
The West Yorkshire man would go to the shops in his local town – Haworth – three times a day to buy fizzy drinks and down them within minutes after he returned to his flat at a local care home. But one morning in March 2012, carer Becky Earwacker walked into his room and saw that he was dead, reports Mail Online.
Detectives found nothing suspicious inside his room but a post-mortem revealed that the man’s death was likely caused by his excessive drinking habit. Doctors found that Inman’s lungs were four times heavier than normal.
Alison Inman, Paul’s mother, was quoted as saying: “I’ve said all this time the cause of it was he drank excessively, absolutely excessively. He had done since he was ten years old. We used to say he had a self-destruct button.”
At the age of 17, Mr Inman was diagnosed with schizophrenia but in 2008 his case was reviewed and doctors found that he was autistic. He was transferred to Haworth care home to treat Asperger Syndrome.