War veteran Brendan Marocco is the first US soldier to have had a double-arm transplant after losing all his four limbs in a 2009 roadside bomb attack in Iraq. Marrocco, 26, underwent the 13-hour operation at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, last month and spoke with the media about it on Tuesday. Marrocco said he’s looking forward to using his new limbs but surgeons said it will take more than a year for the war veteran to gain full control of them.
Dr W P Andrew Lee told the BBC: “The maximum speed is an inch a month for nerve regeneration.”
Marrocco has been using prosthetic legs since the 2009 attack but living without his hands was something he couldn’t get over. “You talk with your hands. You do everything with your hands, basically, and when you don’t have that, you’re kind of lost for a while,” he said. Marrocco said he’s looking forward to using his hands for swimming and driving. ”I just want to get the most out of these arms, and just as goals come up, knock them down and take it absolutely as far as I can.”